In 2021, two prominent companies operating in Australia were targeted in significant cyber-attacks, underscoring the importance of cyber security.
Selecting a reputable domain and web hosting provider is thus essential if you wish for a secure server and website. A trustworthy Australian website hosting plan will ensure the safety of your website data and your client’s personal information.
Refer to the recommendations below for picking the ideal Australia web hosting plan for your business.
4 Steps to Choose the Right Web Hosting Provider
- Understand Your Business Needs
You should assess your needs and requirements to find the right web host for your business.
For example, a website with features such as video blogging and 24-hour live streaming will require more resources than a simple virtual resume site. Generally, shared web servers may not be suitable for high-traffic websites.
- Consider the Level of Technical Support Offered
When selecting a website hosting plan, look for a provider that offers dedicated and speedy support, preferably with 24/7 live assistance.
It’s also recommended to opt for a host with an in-house customer support team, as they are likely to have better reliability and understanding of the company’s operations than an outsourced support service.
- Create a Checklist of Necessary Features
A checklist will help you determine which plan is best for your needs and avoid unnecessary features or costs. Here are some essential factors to consider:
- Storage: Determine how much storage you need for your website to avoid running out of space as your site grows.
- Bandwidth: Consider the amount of traffic you expect to receive, as insufficient bandwidth causes your site to crash during peak periods.
- RAM: The more programs you run, the more RAM you need.
- Control panel preference: Determine if you prefer a specific control panel, as most web hosts use cPanel.
- Backups: Check if free backups are included in the plan, how regularly backups are made, and if you need to pay extra for this service.
- Domain name: Determine if you need a domain name and if the plan includes one for free.
- Control: If you prefer more hands-on technical control, look for full root access and access control features.
- Migration Option: Check if the new web host offers migration services if you’re already hosting a site elsewhere, and if so, how much of the process they manage for you.
- Look Out for Enhanced Security Features
The cost of a data breach in Australia alone is substantial, with an average price tag of almost 3 million U.S. dollars.
Verify if your Australian web hosts have a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to protect their customers’ private information. SSL is necessary for secure online transactions and should be provided by the web hosting company. Additional examples of security include:
- Shielding against DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks
- Detection and elimination of viruses
- Safeguarding against brute force attacks
Look for websites that offer reviews and feedback from current or past users of the desired web hosting plan. This practice can help you identify any consistent issues or complaints and see how the company responds to them.
Business owners can ensure that their website stays secure by devoting time to selecting reputable web hosting companies in Australia.